This Woman Picking Up Garbage on a Country Road Will Inspire You to Protect Your Corner of the Earth

I thought she had stopped on the side of the road because of mechanical problems. The real reason was so much more inspiring.




Recently when the air turned warm and summery, I went for a drive through the local countryside. I had no destination in mind, but the sun was shining and the animals were out foraging in the forest. It was a glorious day to be alive.

Suddenly, I came upon a car on the side of the road. I watched as an older woman got out of her car and walked down to the ditch.

I wondered if she might be lost or confused? Maybe she had some mechanical problems or a medical situation. I became concerned and decided to top my car to see if I could be of any assistance. First I identified myself, and then I asked if she was all right.

She informed me that she had just stopped to pick up trash that some thoughtless traveler had tossed out the window. She invited me to look inside her car and see how much trash she had already collected.

I told her that I write articles for the local paper and asked her if I could use her name. “Oh heavens no,” she said without hesitation. “I’m not doing this for recognition. We live in some beautiful country, and I try to do my little part to help keep it that way.”

So the next time you go out for a drive, be thankful that there are people out there who choose to be good stewards of the earth. And consider taking some time to keep your little stretch of the roadside clean. You’ll get some exercise, fresh air and a good feeling knowing that you have contributed to help keep our country beautiful.

Related Posts
Previous
« Prev Post